Sunday, September 17, 2017

Now I Understand

Some years ago, my daughter returned from Italy, after an extend stay.  I prepared for her a dish of pasta in a white sauce of breadcrumbs, garlic, anchovy and black olives.  Not too shabby or so I thought. 

I was informed by my offspring that I had just prepared essentially the most ordinary of pasta dishes.  A common staple in every household.  

Last night I suffered the next indignity. A version of the this ordinary staple elevated to the sublime.  The anchovies were delicate, gently flavored and not at all salty. The garlic forward, yet not in control. The breadcrumbs light; just enough to attract flavor. And the olives, by me a salty addition, here forgotten. 

Of course, words come from the mouth while dinner passes the other way.  Two different realms. All I can say is the flavor was so stunning I forgot to take a picture.  

But I learned a new word.  Dolci is sweet but salato is savory. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Rabbi Levy, I am a planning a visit to Italy with my two adult daughters, and we will be in Florence for the first seder of Passover, on April 19, 2019. My sleuth work about progressive Judaism in Florence led me to you. Do you have any suggestions for where we might find a friendly seder to attend? I'm a rabbi, trained at Reconstructionist Rabbinical College, very flexible in terms of practice - I'd love a seder with very observant or with less observant folks. I would be happy to contribute in any way - we are knowledgeable but easy-going. If you want to know more about me, you can see my projects here: http://mekomtorah.org and https://www.swarthmore.edu/libraries/beit-midrash .
    I would be grateful for any suggestions you might have. Thank you, Rabbi Helen Plotkin

    ReplyDelete