Thursday, March 3, 2011

Where Am I?

Day before yesterday at breakfast the waitress made me a fresh pot of coffee because at 9:30 I was the first person that day who wanted coffee. Today I'm sitting in a coffee house drinking Ethiopian and munching on real New York Crumb Cake, an old favorite.

Am I home? Or just in Thomasville, Georgia. Where I'm sleeping looks like America: fast food and drug stores. Where I'm sitting looks like America's past meets self indulgence: bookstores, boutiques and baked goods, with wine and coffee as chasers. I had lunch at Seminol Winds, a Christian infused cafeteria of down home cooking. I ate, or stuffed myself, in the company of some club of seniors wearing badges and vests.

I stopped a young man in the coffee shop, with whom I talked for fifteen minutes or so, because he was wearing the shirt of a restaurant I wanted to try, called Fish and Grits. He turned out to be the owner of this upscale place and filled me in on the history of Thomasville. It was the most southern place in Georgia before Florida was developed. Big plantations with lots of money. Hence the beginnings of the cool town center. I was upfront explaining who I was and what I was doing. Caleb wanted to know if the ancient Hebrews were black and if the sons of Noah defined the three human racial divisions. (btw Caleb is white) I shared that modern racial issues and weirdness are modern, not Biblical nor Rabbinic. Surely, I was in Georgia.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment